Thursday, October 7, 2010

Choose An Identity

I was leaving a comment on a friend's blog yesterday, when I paused for a moment to look at the phrase, 'Choose an identity' under the comment box.  I could use my blog pseudonym, OpenID, a name/url or be annonymous.  Choose an identity.  Decide who it is that I wish to portray myself as to the world at large.  It made me smile and wonder about all the identities I would choose, if given the opportunity to do so.

I would choose to be so many people.

A secret spy with no identity at all; 00Charlie's Angels

A right hand to Martin Luther King Jr., marching alongside him

An adventuring archaeologist (ala Lara Croft)

A nameless member of the Peace Corps serving 3rd world countries

An ingenious inventor in a secret lab, creating brilliant wonders that would change the future of the world for the better (ala Tesla, Einstein, Franklin, Edison, DaVinci)

An elementary school teacher

A professional dancer (ballet/ballroom)

Sherlock Holmes

A student of DaVinci; while he was living

A race car driver

An Air Force fighter pilot

A painter who lives by the sea and sells my art on the docks, and/or in Paris, in Montmartre, selling paintings on the sidewalk

A photojournalist who travels the world and creates images of humanity and culture, printed in Natl Geo, Life and Time, whose photos give the world a reason to change the way we all live

A novelist who has the luxury of writing for a living; while living all over the world

...oh the list could go on for a while. 

Who would you be, if you could choose an identity?

2 comments:

molly said...

I think I'd be my twenty two year old self again, but knowing what I know now. Maybe I could get it right, second time around!

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Miss Molly,

Did you get it wrong the first time? Your life would be so different... but you know what? I've wondered the same thing myself.

Scarlett & Viaggiatore