Monday, June 11, 2007

Viaggiatore ~ The Lion of Lyon Tail

I've adopted a Shameless Lion from Lyon, France. Everyone, please meet Viaggiatore. His name means 'traveler' in Italian. He comes from a rather large pride (he has 44 brothers and 3 sisters), all of which have been adopted into the excellent homes of the members of The Shameless Lions Writing Circle... of which I am also a member, and hence had the opportunity to bring Viaggiatore home. Here's his picture as it was on the morning I brought him here:

He wasn't here even a moment before he left his little pedestal in the photo and began to wander about the page. When last I saw him, he said he wanted to go watch the sun set on the ocean (we have a lovely view of the beach just outside the front window there....) and that is just where he headed off. I'm not surprised, really... after all, he is a traveler, and quite an interesting lion.

I will invite you to visit with us a bit, and find out more about him, as he has had quite an amazing journey getting here; the peace of this place is exactly what he needed.

Viaggiatore was once a single thought... just one idea. Long ago, a good Samaritan selflessly saved the life of another human, with no thought for his own safety. The Lord was so pleased at this act of love, that he offered the Samaritan a wish... anything he wanted. The Samaritan said he wished only to continue to do good, everywhere he went, without ever knowing it. The Lord granted this wish, and then decided that it was such a good idea, it ought to be everywhere, for everyone.

He created Viaggiatore as a thought... it is him, in those moments of kindness when we do not know the good we do for others, he is a passing idea... a traveling thought that steps gently within us, and then moves on. As Viaggiatore passed throughout the world touching others, he walked away with remnants of each step touching him, and these remnants created a tangible body for him. The beauty of a world in unity incarnate in the skin of a lion. If you click on his picture (the original) you can see an enlarged version of him.

His feet are covered with the flowers of fields and meadows that he has traversed, his legs and body are colored with the tides of every sea. On close inspection, you will discover images of shipwrecks and sea creatures emblazoned on his sides. The words of the world have covered his legs, and the likeness of continents he has passed through are evident on his hide. Viaggiatore's tail is adorned with miniature works of art that he loves, the most famous being Leonardo Da Vinci's "Mona Lisa"... and just a little way further down his tail, he keeps a watch (so that we do not run on Scarlett time... he says to me with a sly smile). On his back, he proudly wears a small rug, gifted to him by the Maharishi in honor of the goodness and peace that Viaggiatore spreads. His mane is a wild abundance of flowers and blossoms, given to him by all the children of the world, in every country, it is fragrant and light, and when the wind dances in it, the scent fills the air with the sweetest fragrance ever known.

He wears two earrings in his left ear, one for unity, the other for peace. On his left rear paw, he wears a chain... put there by the evil chief of a jungle tribe (more on that later). When I offered to take if off, he declined... "oh no," he told me... "I am made of the places that I have passed through, like any of us, it is the good and the bad that make me who I am and I cannot discard those things in my life that weren't good, any more than you can. It gives me character anyway, don't you think?" So it remains. At his feet rests a book that he is never without. "Knowledge gives us the capacity to understand our world, and better it." he said. I haven't had a chance to look at the book yet, perhaps someday he will let me. The scarf he wears was a gift from me, I picked it up in Paris last April, and he liked it immediately, so I gave it to him.

His front left leg was injured in his escape from the evil chief of the jungle tribe, and I have bandaged it and called my cousin in Pittsburgh, Dr. T. Lyon, to ask her to mend it up for him. He will spend some time here, healing, and we will divulge the tail (excuse me... tale) of his great escape to you as the days pass. When he is quite himself again, Viaggiatore and I will be off to explore the world and go on many great adventures together. Each will be chronicled here, to share with you. Postcards home to our friends and family.

Thank you for being here, we look forward to visiting with you again soon.

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

29 comments:

S. Kearney said...

Wow, Wanderlust, this is brilliant! I was absolutely enthralled! I really look forward to reading the new instalments. Superb.

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Shameless,

I am very humbled, and simultaneously terrifically delighted.

Thank you ever and ever so much.

New chapter to come in a day or two... the graphics are done, the story in my mind, just need to find time to put it down...

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Dewey said...

I have to go check out this writing circle!

Dewey said...

I asked to adopt a lion, too! Now I have to go back and keep reading your post.

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Dewey!

YAY!!! I am SO delighted that you might be in the circle, I certainly hope you made it in time, there were only three lions left this afternoon...

YES! Please come back every couple of days, the adventures he's been on are wonderful and very exciting!! The imagery is great, and it will be so much fun.

See you soon, good luck with the adoption!!

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I knew that "viaggiatore" means "voyager" in Italian, (even a cognate,) so when you began signing comments to my blog with both names, I didn't realize that there was a separate entity involved.

I would have gotten here sooner if I had not been away for a week.

He's truly lovely, and his life view is quite reminiscent of The Little Prince and his fox.

I look forward to learning more about him and about you as you continue your journey together. Thank you for sharing him with us.

Tracy said...

Cool! And Viagiatore is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Those damned lions have taken over the world!!!

Yours is colorful and lovely and I really like this first chapter, love the character and how he has been created. I look forward to his adventures, his discoveries.

Dewey said...

I did get one! His name is Louis because he has French on him, so I know he's French. And Louis rhymes with Dewey. Right now he's getting all fitted out in his new library, because he's a great book lover just like me.

Dewey said...

Oh and Louis is a voyager, too! He has all the countries he's visited stamped on his fur.

L.M.Noonan said...

hello Scarlett and Viaggatore,
I think we're going to get along splendidly. Love your blog, and Viaggaiatore's tale.
I would be honoured to link with you.

gautami tripathy said...

This I call is a very original thought. Glad o be here.

Thanks for linking me. I too will do so ASAP!

Do visit Delhi with Viaggiatore. I look forward to you both!

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Hearts!

I am so excited that you are here!!
YAY!
I did miss you while you were away, it's very good to have you back. Thank you for coming by.

I'm really glad that you like Viaggiatore (voyager huh? well go figure, that's the babel fish for you). Do you mind if he comes with us on our trip to see the Maharishi? He's been there once and knows the way... plus, it can't hurt to have a lion with us.

I LOVE the Little Prince, I have a copy... right... over... there ->
it's been a favorite of mine for many years. Sisterhood of the prince, hmm?

So glad to see you, glad you are back. Thanks again for visiting!



Starshine,

Isn't he something else! So vibrant and colorful... guess that's what the world might look like if we all got along... everyone together, wouldn't that be colorful and beautiful.
Thanks for coming by, I'll come back to yours soon to see how the wedding is coming along! Good luck!!


Mr. GoodThomas,

How nice to have you back again. I don't know if there is a kinder person in the blogosphere.
YES! There are lions everywhere - more's the joy!
I just wish you were among those in the circle. sniff. S'okay... almost everyone in the group is a friend of yours, and will be, lion or no.
I am so pleased that you like the introduction. I hope that you will enjoy the rest as well. By the way... would you please stop by the 'Soundtrack of my life' post and see if those two starter songs work for you? *big smiles* hopefully it will be enough to get you started on your own list.

Best to you~


Louis and Dewey!
That's tremendous! I love it. Welcome to the pride!! I am very excited for you, I am sure you will be such a good addition to the group.
How wonderful for you... a companion to read with, and travel with. Aren't these lions the best? The BEST. I am thrilled for you. ~an aside... I had to have all my countries stamped in my passport, the authorities did not find it amusing when I asked if my skin could be stamped. Not amused at all.


LMN -

GASP! I am so very delighted that you came to visit! I agree, I think we will get along splendidly... so happy that you like my blog, and my lion! Viaggiatore is purring about it rather loudly. Nice! I just hope that you can give me some tips on those... uh.. one moment...(Viaggiatore..!! SHH!!) he likes you... um... yes, tips on those gorgeous photos all over your blog. I could spend days there! Well.. I probably will spend days there. See you soon!



Gautami! Welcome!

All the way from Delhi... WOW. Are you tired? (kidding)
Thank you for being here. Of course, Viaggiatore and I will come see you often. He likes it there!
Delhi looks like a wonderfully exotic and intense place. I bet the food is divine!
As soon as I learn how to say please and thank you, we will be on our way!!


Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Thy said...

wow, that's good! haha. nice writing; thanks for the compliments.

imma read your archives as soon as finals are over...

Jon M said...

Hello back, fellow lion. I was lost in the words I've just been reading and I have a terrible attention span, hence the penchant for children's writing!

Do I mind you linking my page? NO NO NO No No Not at all! It decreases the vacuum in which I write, one day it will be blown completely apart. I try to avoid vacuum metaphors these days cos they lead to wind analogies and gas always turns people off and if it doesn't, I don't wanna know! :-)

rel said...

Scarlett,
Thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself. ;-)
I'm happy to make your acquaintance. Reading your tail, oops, tale was so cool. I can tell that we are in for some amazing writing from you. Viaggiatore seems to be the ideal lion for you....you seem perfectly receptive to his selfless touch.
Be ever so cautious, however, because Zacch and I will be watching you under the microscope.

Welcome to the pride. See you around the camp fire.
rel (as in r. e. l.)

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Dear Me,

So glad to have you here!
Finals... yikes... just got done with some of those myself. It's nearly traumatic... ;o) I am sure that one as brilliant as you will get through them all with flying colors. Best of luck, sleep and eat well in the interim.
I look forward to reading all of your posts too!
Thank you for coming by!


Dear Jon,

Hello again! Children's literature is wonderful, I still love reading it. I think Rudyard Kipling's "Just So Stories" is probably one of my favorite books of all time. It's so much easier to go further with imagination in a children's book... they have fewer rules. That appeals to me.

I really like your '5 good things' games... fun! I was thinking of borrowing the idea in the near future. Will be by to visit soon!
Thank you for coming to see us.


Good morning Remiman!

Nice to see you! Amazing writing? Eek... hope I can live up to that! I'll do my best. ;o)
Viaggiatore was absolutely the best lion in the pride for me, I was very blessed to get him! We are so alike, in so many ways.
I too am looking forward to reading your works, and stopping by your page often!
...and, I discovered that putting Viaggiatore under the microscope only showed me even more wonderful things about him than I could see at a glance on the surface. Putting me under the scope though... yikes! ha ha ha....

Campfire stories... yes, won't that be fun!!!
See you soon


Scarlett & Viaggiatore

jill terry said...

Scarlett,

Correction...this is the only site that I have visited, because it was used as an example of brilliance! And as soon as I saw it, I thought how lame my little piece of prose that you so sweetly complimented was!

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Jill!

Lady, you do yourself no justice. You are such a good writer, it is evident in every word.
I am honored and glad to be in this circle of writers and lions, with the likes of you and Zion.

All my best, I will see you soon!

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Kelly said...

That is really cool.

Jon M said...

Wonderful! Please use five good things, I nicked it from the idea of gratitude diaries which are a fun, if cheesy, way of encouraging positive thoughts!

Kelly said...

"Eats Shoots and Leaves" is on my TBR list. I bought it at a discount Borders.

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Hi Myutopia!

Thank you for dropping by! I checked out your blog, it's very nice. I am a bookworm, so I'll have to come over and see what there is to dive into.

I loved Eats Shoots and Leaves. Absolutely loved it.


Jon,

Thanks! I'll have to sniff around at your place and see what the details are, but I am pretty sure I will put it up, it looks like so much fun.
Thank you!


Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Anonymous said...

Your lion friend is so pretty and thought-filled. I like his words:

"Knowledge gives us the capacity to understand our world, and better it."

Amen.

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Ally my favorite spice girl!

What a nice surprise! I am so glad to see you.
Isn't he great? I love him.
I love your turtles too... but the lion comes with a book and he's so much fun.

Thank you, for the Amen. I wish the citizens of the U.S. who have the privilege of free education really understood what a blessing that is, and how lucky they are to have it. It wasn't too long ago that people were fighting and dying in this country for the right to learn together, and now that we have it... the value and importance of it means nothing to many of todays youth.

Pardon me, I am very sad just now.

Thank you for coming by, it was so good to see you here.

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Lisa Cohen said...

This is *fabulous*! I love your lion and his story.

This really resonated with me:

"I am made of the places that I have passed through, like any of us, it is the good and the bad that make me who I am and I cannot discard those things in my life that weren't good, any more than you can."

I look forward to reading more about this remarkable fellow.

:)

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Good morning LJC,

I am very pleased to know that you came away from this with a touch if it in you, like Viaggiatore's skin. I wrote it so that this would happen, and it looks like the piece has had the desired effect.
It's true... every place and time of our lives that we pass through leaves a mark in our souls and hearts.
I wonder, if we could gently turn ourselves inside out to see our very souls... what would we find?
Would we like it?

Thank you for stopping in to say hello, we look forward to your next visit!

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful, rich and moving and beautiful.

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Thank you Pearl,

How very sweet of you to say that, I am really glad that you enjoyed it.


Scarlett & Viaggiatore