Friday, November 12, 2010

Love Embattled


"It would degrade me to marry Heathcliff now; so he shall never know how I love him: and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same..."

"...He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself, but as my own being."

"He wanted all to lie in an ecstasy of peace; I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. I said his heaven would be only half alive; and he said mine would be drunk: I said I should fall asleep in his; and he said he could not breathe in mine..."

"He'll never let his friends be at ease, and he'll never be at ease himself!"

- Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights



Is there nothing as tragic and beautiful as deeply passionate love that exists but cannot be given a breath of life? I find myself wandering through the mists of Wuthering Heights from time to time; aching for the dark, brooding, melancholy Heathcliff and the only light in his life, his strong and determined Cathy.  


It is nearly unbearable to love someone so much that you cannot have; as though they were the very air that brings life and without it there is no life worth living. Is there passion like this in life? Is there love that cannot be measured, cannot be lost or changed; even by death? I must believe that there is. I must believe that every level of love leads to a pinnacle as poignant and eternal as this... as deep and strong and timeless as this... for there is no denying what our souls know, and mine knows that this is true.


2 comments:

Suburbia said...

My favourite book ever, I have read it so many times.As a teenager it taught me about love and passion, rightly or wrongly, it has informed my life.

Love what you have written

Forever searching...

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Oh Suburbia... it makes me swoon every single time. Book, movie, even just the quotes. Oh the passion, the love... the heartache. *SO* fabulous.
;D

I'm still searching for my Heathcliff, but hopefully, if I find him, it will work out well!

Best of luck and love to you, lady.


XOXO
Scarlett & Viaggiatore